The Telling Mansion, located at 4645 Mayfield Road in South Euclid, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1974.
The site contains of three buildings, all consisting of two stories plus basement: The Mansion itself is approximately 13,390 square feet; an awning connects the Mansion to the Caretaker's cottage, which is 1,830 square feet; within short distance is the Carriage House, 1,652 square feet.
The Mansion was built as a home for the Telling family in 1929-1930. The Carriage House’s use was self-explanatory, as was that of the caretaker’s cottage.
Telling lived in the house until his death in 1938. During World War II, the mansion was used as housing for soldiers. In 1945, the property was sold at a
sheriff’s sale for $38,000. The purchaser was the Carolina Corporation, formed by the DiTirro family, who divided the mansion into four suites for use by their company. Taxes and utility costs compelled the DiTirros to offer the property for
sale within a few years.
In 1951, the Cuyahoga County Public Library purchased the buildings and six acres of the land for $82,000 – the remaining 20+ acres were retained by the sellers.
In 1975, the South Euclid Historical Society (now the South Euclid-Lyndhurst Historical Society) took up residence in the former Caretaker’s Cottage, and developed the building into a museum.
Following the CCPL’s decision to move from the Telling site to a new location on Green Road, a group of concerned citizens stepped forward to safeguard the site’s future.
Currently, there is parking for 59 vehicles. Although the basement and first story of the mansion can be accessed via wheelchair, the site as a whole is not compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act – due to its age it is exempt from ADA regulations.
In May, 2013, the Library board voted to enter into negotiations with Cleveland based investor Richard A. Barone - who intends to renovate the Mansion and house an American Porcelain Museum there. The sale was approved in September.